Dr. Loren Cordain is acknowledged as the world’s leading expert on the Paleolithic diet. He has been a professor at Colorado State University for over 30 years and is one of the top global researchers in the area of evolutionary medicine focused on diet and health with hundreds of peer reviewed scientific publications. Dr. Cordain is the author of many bestselling books including The Paleo Diet, The Paleo Answer, The Paleo Diet Cookbook, and many more.
Dr. Lane Sebring joined the conversation. He has practiced medicine in Wimberley, Texas for over 21 years and has served as a board examiner for the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. Dr. Loren Cordain stated that Dr. Sebring is the first physician to base his practice around the Paleo Diet.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 2:00:15 — 137.6MB)
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- [0:36] Jeremy’s welcome and introduction to this episode with guest Dr. Loren Cordain.
- [1:24] The latest research he’s working on that he’s most excited about.
- [4:27] What autoimmune diseases do you believe are most impacted by the Paleo diet.
- [7:45] When do you think the paleo diet really caught on? And what caused this to happen?
- [13:56] The landscape prior to Dr. Cordain’s book, The Paleo Diet.
- [21:24] Dr. Cordain’s talk in Greece and how this helped him shift his focus to nutrition.
- [25:13] What is considered the true Paleo Diet?
- [34:28] Dr. Cordain’s research on dairy.
- [39:25] The ideal protein to carbohydrate ratio for humans.
- [40:28] The reasons for writing a revised edition of The Paleo Diet.
- [48:56] What would you say is your proudest research development?
- [50:57] How did Dr. Lane Sebring and Dr. Cordain meet?
- [59:31] Dr. Sebring’s questions for Dr. Cordain.
- [1:08:16] The evolution of Paleo and how it coincides with the advent of the Internet.
- [1:21:04] Do you need to follow the diet strictly in order to see benefits?
- [1:34:48] Enjoying the benefits of evolution without the violence of our current culture.
- [1:38:53] Nutrition is applied biology.
- [1:43:59] Looking at our hunter-gatherer ancestors to better understand our nutritional needs.
- [1:46:17] Final thoughts.
In this episode…
When it comes to nutrition, there is much debate in the scientific community as to the best approach to optimize health while minimizing the risk of disease. It’s clear that Dr. Loren Cordain is the foremost expert in The Paleo Diet, which is why this discussion is such an important one. Dr. Cordain shares insight into everything from the basics of Paleo to the risk factors for autoimmune diseases to the influence of our hunter-gatherer ancestors on our current nutritional choices.
Dr. Cordain offers great insight into the beginnings of the Paleo diet, the study of which was ignited by Dr. Boyd Eaton in 1985. It was Dr. Eaton that inspired Dr. Cordain to join him as an advocate for Paleo and continue studying it’s short and long-term benefits for people of all ages. Dr. Cordain sheds light on everything from dairy to legumes to carbohydrates, as well as the realities of what our bodies are designed to consume.
Dr. Lane Sebring joins the chat to have an insightful conversation with Dr. Cordain, asking many high-level questions that allow us to better understand our nutritional needs as well as the many benefits of the Paleo diet. Their discussion helps us grasp the realities of evolution and the fact that, just 300 generations ago, we weren’t consuming dairy or legumes, which is why they can create problems for many of us.
As they close out their discussion, Dr. Sebring and Dr. Cordain offer some final thoughts on Paleo and how critical it is that we increase our focus on nutrition and the massive impact it has on humanity. They believe our biggest priority must shift to nutrition in order to eliminate health as our biggest problem. Dr. Cordain also pays homage to the people who laid the foundation for the work that he’s done, most notably Dr. Boyd Eaton.
Resources Mentioned on this episode
Get Personal Advice from Top Leaders & Founders How To:
- Don’t re-invent the wheel! What successful entrepreneurs know can help make you a success—and avoid the mistakes they made
- Hear the enormous challenges these wildly successful people overcame
- Hear their candid, first-hand stories—free!