Dr. Joseph Michelli is a New York Times #1 Bestselling Author of Books including: The Zappos Experience, Leading the Starbucks Way, The New Gold Standard about Ritz Carlton, and When Fish Fly and many more…His newest book is Driven to Delight —delivering world class customer experience the Mercedes-Benz Way.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- [0:36] Jeremy’s introduction of Dr. Joseph Michelli.
- [1:40] How did this book about the Mercedes Way come about?
- [4:50] A glimpse into Dr. Michelli’s discussion with the Mercedes Benz leadership team.
- [8:20] Working on the book in spite of personal struggles and tragedy.
- [10:32] The hardest parts of writing a book for Dr. Michelli.
- [10:56] Joseph’s approach to interviewing staff, leadership, etc. for one of his books.
- [12:00] Eye opening things Dr. Michelli discovered speaking with staff members.
- [12:58] Getting Mercedes employees to drive a Mercedes for a number of days.
- [15:22] Interesting discoveries from speaking with Mercedes customers.
- [16:25] The main reason people did NOT buy a Mercedes when shopping for a luxury car.
- [18:13] Technologies implemented by Mercedes Benz for customer experience improvements.
- [22:33] What is the “Best for Nothing” slogan and where did it come from?
- [23:23] When Mercedes admitted failure in achieving their customer service ideals.
- [25:31] How do large companies like Mercedes handle communication between thousands of staff?
- [29:17] A great lesson Joseph learned from one of the Mercedes leadership team.
- [30:29] The most important aspect of delivering phenomenal customer experiences.
- [32:16] How to infuse a customer service obsession to a team.
- [33:23] Insights from the daily lives of top CEOs.
- [35:55] The differences between the companies Joseph has profiled (Mercedes, Zappos, Starbucks, etc.)
- [37:40] What’s most exciting to Dr. Michelli about his newest book, “Driven To Delight.”
- [38:48] The most rewarding moment for Dr. Michelli so far in his career.
- [39:41] How to best practice gratitude in daily life.
- [43:15] What even the smallest business should implement immediately.
- [44:11] What’s next for you, Dr. Michelli?
In this episode…
How do big companies that are known for their customer satisfaction do it so effectively and what lessons can smaller companies, entrepreneurs, and startups learn and apply their practices?
If anyone can answer those questions in a definitive way, it’s Dr. Joseph Michelli. Joseph has spent his career investigating, profiling, and highlighting the business practices of some of the world’s most influential and successful companies – especially companies that have excelled in providing an exceptional customer experience.
In this conversation Jeremy Weisz asks Dr. Michelli a number of questions surrounding the writing of his latest book, “Driven To Delight: Delivering World Class Customer Experience, the Mercedes-Benz Way,” but also delves into the insights he’s gained from talking with staff, CEOs, and customers of the world’s largest and most influential companies.
You’ll get to hear the most surprising things Dr. Michelli heard from the people he’s interviewed, including the areas of weakness these companies discovered through his investigations and the steps they took to shore up those deficiencies.
Dr. Michelli also highlights the methods that large companies use to engage in effective vision casting and communication with thousands of employees, and takes the time to translate those practices into a smaller scale for everyday entrepreneurs and business owners. That section alone is worth the time it will take you to listen to this episode of Inspired Insider.
You’ll also be exposed to Dr. Michelli’s insights into the 6 things it actually takes to become a leader in delivering excellent customer experiences, and why he believes that “obsession” is the most important of the bunch. If you’re eager to take your company to the next level, you need to hear what Joseph shares in this section, gleaned from years of profiling these phenomenal companies and drawing out the similarities between them.
This is a great conversation, so grab a drink and something to write with, because you’re going to get a wealth of great, actionable information on this episode of Inspired Insider, with Jeremy’s guest, Dr. Joseph Michelli.
Resources Mentioned on this episode
- Dr. Michelli’s previous interview about the Starbuck’s Way
- Dr. Michelli’s book at a DISCOUNT: www.D2DBook.com (use the code “VIP” for a discount and bonuses)
- Dr. Michelli’s blog post with infographic: How To Become A Leader In Customer Experience
Get Personal Advice from Top Leaders & Founders How To:
- Don’t re-invent the wheel! What successful entrepreneurs know can help make you a success—and avoid the mistakes they made
- Hear the enormous challenges these wildly successful people overcame
- Hear their candid, first-hand stories—free!