Steve Chou is the founder of Bumblebee Linens and MyWifeQuitHerJob.com. With a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University, it’s pretty clear Steve is a smart guy.
He not only runs multiple six-figure businesses but he’s also a hardware engineer by day and an entrepreneur by night. If that wasn’t enough on his plate, Steve’s also a husband and father of 2 kids.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- [0:37] Jeremy’s introduction of Steve Chou, founder of Bumblebee Linens and MyWifeQuiteHerJob.com
- [1:38] What’s the hardest part about balancing your 2 businesses, your job as a hardware engineer, and your family?
- [5:44] Creating space for everything in your life.
- [6:56] What’s a must for eCommerce sellers to boost sales?
- [9:41] Getting your customer to be emotionally invested in your products.
- [10:50] What’s working the best for your business in terms of paid services?
- [14:18] Targeting methods that work.
- [15:15] Facebook ad targeting surprises that Steve found in his campaigns.
- [16:36] Why target B2B customers?
- [19:48] Dealing with inventory management via Amazon, eBay and other channels.
- [21:08] The customer cycle from A to Z.
- [27:04] The biggest challenge in targeting customers.
- [28:56] What software do you use to run your business?
- [35:35] Using Pinterest in a marketing campaign.
- [39:33] Getting insight into Google Adwords.
- [40:55] How did you come up with the name Bumblebee Linens?
- [41:51] How do you establish your name in order to grow your business?
- [44:20] Networking with vendors to ensure you get the best quality products from them.
- [48:12] What are your best sellers and what are the surprise best-sellers that you didn’t expect to sell?
- [49:37] What’s next for Bumblebee Linens?
- [50:47] Why are you so open with sharing all of this?
- [54:26] The biggest mistakes you see people making?
- [55:23] The course in My Wife Quit Her Job.
- [58:22] What keeps you up at night?
- [1:00:36] What’s your ultimate dream?
- [1:02:55] How to connect with Steve.
- [1:03:44] Some actionable tips to improve your ecommerce business.
In this episode…
For Steve, it’s all about finding balance in his busy life. From his flourishing businesses to his busy career as a hardware engineer to his family, Steve discusses how he manages to make time for it all. He gives insight into how he maintains focus on his main objective: spending time with his family. Throughout this chat with Jeremy, Steve shares with great openness how he’s managed to grow his businesses into the multiple 6 figures and some of the strategies that helped Bumblebee Linens become a thriving ecommerce store.
Steve offers tips to help ecommerce business owners understand how to grow sales by standing out from the crowd. He shares insight into how he targets customers and some targeting methods they use to connect with their market. Steve also discusses some of the challenges they face in targeting, and how they manage to stay on track and continue to grow their reach.
Steve goes on to share some of his top software choices to help manage his business, and a few tips to help new businesses thrive. Steve chats with Jeremy about how they grew the Bumblebee Linens brand in the beginning and why it’s key to stand out from the very start. He shares a story about a last-minute order from a bride early in the company’s history and how they went out of their way to make sure her order was filled in time.
As they close out their chat, Steve talks about the role of content in a strong marketing plan and why it’s so important to put out great content in order to attract new customers and build sales. He shares the biggest mistakes he sees ecommerce businesses make and how to avoid them as you start out. Steve offers a final tip for ecommerce business owners who are ready to see growth: put out content regularly.
Resources Mentioned on this episode
- My Wife Quit Her Job – visit the site to get your FREE 6-Day Mini Course on How to Start Your Own Online Store
- Bumblebee Linens
- Big Commerce
- Shipping Easy
Sponsor for this episode
At Rise25, we’re committed to helping you connect with your Dream 100 referral partners, clients, and strategic partners through our done-for-you podcast solution.
We’re a professional podcast production agency that makes creating a podcast effortless. Since 2009, our proven system has helped thousands of B2B businesses build strong relationships with referral partners, clients, and audiences without doing the hard work.
When you use our proven system, all you need is an idea and a voice. We handle the strategy, production, and distribution – you just need to show up and talk.
The Rise25 podcasting solution is designed to help you build a profitable podcast. This requires a specific strategy, and we’ve got that down pat. We focus on making sure you have a direct path to ROI, which is the most important component. Plus, our podcast production company takes any heavy lifting of production and distribution off your plate.
We make distribution easy.
We’ll distribute each episode across more than 11 unique channels, including iTunes, Spotify, and Google Podcasts. We’ll also create copy for each episode and promote your show across social media.
Cofounders Dr. Jeremy Weisz and John Corcoran credit podcasting as being the best thing they have ever done for their businesses. Podcasting connected them with the founders/CEOs of P90x, Atari, Einstein Bagels, Mattel, Rx Bars, YPO, EO, Lending Tree, Freshdesk, and many more.
The relationships you form through podcasting run deep. Jeremy and John became business partners through podcasting. They have even gone on family vacations and attended weddings of guests who have been on the podcast.
Podcast production has a lot of moving parts and is a big commitment on our end; we only want to work with people who are committed to their business and to cultivating amazing relationships.
Rise25 Cofounders, Dr. Jeremy Weisz and John Corcoran, have been podcasting and advising about podcasting since 2008.