Perry Marshall is known for being, “ the #1 author and world’s most-quoted consultant on Google Advertising and has helped over 100,000 advertisers save billions of dollars in AdWords …” He has helped grow a tech company from $200,000 to $4 million in sales that eventually was bought by a public company. His works include The Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords Book, and 80/20 Sales and Marketing and many more. Now he is back to talk about his Book Evolution 2.0: Breaking the Deadlock Between Darwin and Design.
In this episode…
Do you think you know what “evolution” is all about? You might think a bit differently after you hear this conversation with Perry Marshall. In the last 15 to 20 years so much has changed in the science of evolutionary biology. What you learned in school is likely not what current evolutionary theory is teaching.
In this great chat Jeremy asks Perry to unpack his reasons for writing this book (he’s an Adwords specialist, after all), why he thinks it’s a truly significant issue to be thinking about, and the impact his book and accompanying lectures are having on the people he meets. What he’s come to believe is that evolutionists don’t think highly enough of nature and creationists don’t think highly enough of God, and that the new viewpoints on evolution show that to be true.
Perry’s research started with his own questions about the origin of life, viewed from his background as a systems guy. He simply couldn’t believe that the evolutionary theory he’d heard all his life could possible be true. Random events leading to the complicated forms of life we see on our planet? He wasn’t buying it. This conversation unpacks his journey from evolution skeptic to hard core “new evolutionist” and what he says the data is telling us about God, life, and the way we got here.
If you’re an atheist, you might hate this interview. If you’re a creationist, you just might too. But anyone who’s willing to open their mind, listen to the scientific evidence, and decide for yourself just might discover that you don’t know what you think you know, and that the existence of God may not be such a stretch afterall. It’s a conversation worth listening to.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn in this show:
- [0:24] Jeremy’s introduction to this episode and his guest, Perry Marshall.
- [1:42] Why Perry believes this topic is going to piss people off.
- [4:54] Things that could change the way you view the issue of evolution.
- [7:30] What it was like for Perry to grow up as a pastor’s son.
- [14:23] The issues and questions that brought Perry to research these issues.
- [18:04] The steps Perry took to answer his own questions.
- [27:00] Using his Google Ads expertise to tackle all the possible questions.
- [31:70] The ideal people for Perry to debate with… in his view.
- [32:25] The harsh responses of the “New Atheists” and why Perry targeted them with his responses.
- [43:50] The major omissions in evolutionary literature as a whole.
- [48:39] Why both sides of the debate are missing the biggest revelation of all.
- [49:00] Where atheists are correct.
- [51:20] The primary things that have changed in Perry’s thinking.
- [58:56] What Perry thinks God really wants to show us.
- [59:40] The $100,000 prize challenge Perry is making.
- [1:09:45] The likelihood that someone outside the field of biology will figure it out.
- [1:13:15] Scientists that Perry thinks would agree with him.
- [1:18:50] Perry’s response to a 7 paragraph 1 star review on Amazon.
- [1:22:45] The 7 year debate Perry had on the Infidels website.
- [1:24:44] How you can get 3 free chapters of Perry’s book.
- [1:27:30] Why Perry thinks people have to convinced themselves that God doesn’t exist.
Perry’s personal resources
- www.CosmicFingerPrints.com – Perry’s website
- Perry’s book: “Evolution 2.0: Breaking the Deadlock Between Darwin and Design.”
- The $100,000 Prize
- William Sikkema’s submission
- The “Infidels” Debate
People, Resources, and Concepts Mentioned on This Episode
- Charles Darwin
- “On The Origin of the Species” by Darwin
- Barbara McClintock
- James A. Shapiro
- Francis Crick’s central dogma
- Escher’s penrose staircase
- Bill Nye
- Richard Dawkins
- Ken Ham
- BOOK: In the Beginning was Information
- The Third Way of Evolution website
- The Miller Urey experiment
- Richard Koch’s book: Simplify
- Francis Collins – his book “The Language of God”
- Craig Venter
- Dennis Noble
- Systems Biology
- http://scholar.google.com search for “Epigenetics Lamarck”
- Jean-Baptiste Lamarck
- Jerry Coyne
- “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell