Cameron Herold is the former COO of 1-800-Got-Junk. He helped grow the company from $2 million to $106 million in only six years without any debt or outside funding. He has helped build three $100 million dollar companies.
Today he is a top rated international speaker and he coaches CEOs on steps to multiply their revenue and profit.
He is best selling author of the book– Double Double: How to Double your Revenue and Profit in 3 Years or Less –which is on its 7th printing.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- [0:37] Jeremy’s introduction of Cameron Herold, author of Double Double and founder of BackPocket COO.
- [1:35] Some fun facts about Cameron.
- [3:23] What did you want to be when you grew up?
- [5:00] Coming from a long line of entrepreneurs.
- [5:17] Lessons learned from his entrepreneurial family.
- [6:24] The value of taking care of your employees.
- [7:00] Working with entrepreneurs that truly care.
- [8:17] Motivating your employees.
- [10:16] The role of R&D.
- [11:18] Hiring systems you found to be really powerful.
- [13:15] The methodology behind finding top talent.
- [14:19] Getting the best employees from other companies.
- [17:24] The connection between College Pro Painter, Cameron, Elon Musk, and Kimbal Musk.
- [18:37] Some innovations that have come across his desk over the years.
- [20:28] Cameron’s connection to Burning Man.
- [22:39] Cameron discusses You Barter.
- [25:32] How Cameron got started in 1-800-Got-Junk.
- [26:32] The vivid vision at 1-800-Got-Junk.
- [29:42] How you can start now to create a vivid vision.
- [30:30] The biggest mistakes people make in creating their vivid vision.
- [31:17] Cameron explains the COO Alliance.
- [32:53] Your vivid vision will attract people and will repel people.
- [34:01] Some cool “war stories” from 1-800-Got-Junk.
- [35:20] Coming up with what your unique ability is.
- [39:00] Cameron discusses his book, Double Double.
- [40:48] Some other books Cameron is working on.
- [41:22] Raising entrepreneurs.
- [42:35] The lowest point for Cameron.
- [44:17] Learning to recognize the symptoms of stress.
- [45:55] One of the proudest moments for Cameron.
- [47:22] Some of the daily rituals that are important to Cameron’s success.
In this episode…
When it comes to building success as an entrepreneur, Cameron is a pro. From a very young age, Cameron had an entrepreneurial mindset. He came from a long line of entrepreneurs, including his father and both grandfathers. From the beginning, Cameron knew this was the life for him. He wanted to create a life of freedom and make a real impact on the people around him. Throughout this chat with Jeremy, Cameron discusses his path to entrepreneurship, including his time at 1-800-Got-Junk, coaching other entrepreneurs, and his best-selling book.
For Cameron, it wasn’t a matter of if he would be an entrepreneur, but when his dreams would come to fruition. He learned valuable lessons from his entrepreneurial family, including how to spot opportunity, taking control of your destiny, and the value of “wowing” your employees. Cameron discusses why it’s so important to take care of your employees and why this is a core value for him today. He also talks about the types of entrepreneurs he coaches and why he’s selective about who he’ll work with.
Cameron goes on to discuss his hiring system and why he focuses on hiring the best people. He shares insight into why he doesn’t believe in motivating employees, but hiring motivated employees instead. Cameron talks about some of his hiring techniques, the interview process, and why he truly focuses on getting beyond the what’s shared in a resume.
Cameron discusses the “Vivid Vision” and offers some tips to help you get started on your own vision. He shares insight into some of the biggest mistakes people make in creating their vivid vision and how to find out more about creating your own. Cameron offers insight into his daily rituals and why it’s been essential to find ways of de-stressing in order to stay focused and enjoy the life he’s created. In closing, Cameron discusses his low point and proudest moments, as well as what it’s like to be able to live the life he’s always dreamed of.
Resources Mentioned on this episode
- Cameron’s books: