Investing in employees is one of the things Omar Sayyed has made his specialty. Omar is the co-founder and CEO of Ties.com, Scarves.com, and Alynn.com. The company started off fulfilling orders out of a co-founder’s living room. They have managed to grow into the world’s largest online men’s and women’s accessories retailer.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- [0:10] Jeremy’s introduction of this episode of the podcast.
- [6:48] The process the company follows in developing new product ideas.
- [13:39] Things that have changed in the company’s processes over the years.
- [19:10] The challenges of cultural intelligence working with suppliers.
- [21:05] Examples of products they expected to do well but flopped.
- [26:26] The launch process, testing product popularity, etc.
- [31:45] Top selling products on Ties.com.
- [38:03] The beginnings of the company story.
- [44:15] What Omar focused on when he came on board with the company: the team.
- [49:12] Tips for building a team and talent acquisition.
- [58:55] How Omar met his co-founders.
- [1:09:00] When and why companies should have employee meetings.
- [1:18:48] The way Omar’s company gets buzz around its products.
- [1:24:14] What is worth measuring?
- [1:29:50] How can ecommerce companies drive more sales?
- [1:39:50] Mistakes learned in the process of growth.
- [1:41:39] Omar’s lowest professional moment.
- [1:49:40] One of Omar’s proudest moments in business.
- [1:58:43] Knowing how to structure an acquisition.
- [2:05:08] Why is sock genius such a prevalent brand?
- [2:07:50] A business idea Omar is giving away (please, steal it).
In this episode…
When it comes to experiencing the benefits that flow from investing in employees, Omar Sayyed is one of the guys who can speak to the issue with authority. He’s got accolades all over his LinkedIn profile that show how much he pours into the people who work for him.
When I asked Omar about the skill of investing in employees he said that it’s one of the areas he identified as a place he could add the most value to the company (www.Ties.com) when he first became part of the team. In his mind, treating your employees like gold enables and equips them to pay the company back in gold.
On this episode of Inspired Insider, you’re going to hear the remarkable story of one of the premier online retailers in the e-commerce space. And Omar Sayyed and company haven’t stopped with just one site. They also own a handful of other 4-letter domains that bring in significant revenue every month.
Whether you’re interested in finding out how to invest in employees, acquire other companies, evaluate potential products, or refine your systems, this interview with Omar Sayyed will prove to be a valuable resource to you. The experience this guy has is incredible and he shares very generously on this episode.
Don’t miss the end of this conversation with Omar Sayyed when he shares a business idea that he says he’ll never have time for – and encourages you to steal it from him. What is it? Well, you’ll have to listen to hear the whole story but for now, we can say that it has to do with messaging and memes. Interested? Be sure to listen.
Resources Mentioned on this episode
- Casper Mattress
- Previous episode with founder of Tech Armor
- TED talk about Grit
- BOOK: Grit