Today we have Laura Roeder, Founder of MeetEdgar.com, which is a social media automation tool designed to prevent updates from going to waste. Basically you don’t have to keep feeding in posts because it recycles them for you!
Since Edgar’s launch they have grown to 16 employees and have more than $2.8 million in annual recurring revenue AND they’ve bootstrapped the entire way.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- [0:47] Jeremy’s welcome and introduction to this episode with guest Laura Roeder, founder of MeetEdgar.com.
- [1:25] Some of Laura’s favorite business books.
- [2:35] Laura’s journey and what she wanted to be when she was growing up.
- [3:43] What did you learn from your parents early on?
- [5:00] Balancing parenthood with running a business.
- [5:46] Why Laura decided not to wait, but to go ahead and start the business while she was pregnant.
- [7:36] How do you create boundaries to make sure you have balance with family time?
- [9:05] What was your first hire for Meet Edgar?
- [12:06] Laura discusses her key hires through the growth process.
- [15:46] Laura’s journey from her design job into entrepreneur.
- [21:41] What you keep and what you leave out when building a course.
- [26:37] How did Meet Edgar come from the process you teach in Creating Fame?
- [28:25] Launching Meet Edgar.
- [32:24] What are the toughest parts about running the business?
- [34:01] What was in the initial version of Meet Edgar that you decided not to include?
- [36:40] Some things in the pipeline and new products they’ve launched.
- [38:47] The decision to go with a “Get Your Invitation” button on the website.
- [40:55] Pricing options and the decisions behind those options.
- [43:28] How do you respond to common questions you get from people considering other software?
- [45:30] Some advantages and disadvantages of starting a business with family.
- [46:38] One of the lowest points and how you got through it.
- [50:20] What has been the proudest moment?
- [51:25] Keeping a positive work culture with a team that works remotely.
- [52:48] Some of Laura’s mentors.
- [54:18] How to connect with Laura.
- [54:37] The time-saving benefits of using Meet Edgar.
In this episode…
When it comes to success stories, Laura Roeder stands out from the crowd. Her belief in the power of Meet Edgar before it launched is inspiring, and it’s clear she knew it was something that needed to be accessible to the public. Laura shares everything from her decision to launch while pregnant to the highs and lows along the way in this enlightening chat with Jeremy.
As a child, Laura was inspired by her entrepreneurial parents. After spending time in a design job, Laura realized she needed to branch out on her own – so she decided to follow in her parents’ footsteps. With several businesses under her belt, including Creating Fame and LKR Social Media, it’s obvious Laura knows how to be a successful entrepreneur. She talks about the evolution of her businesses and the inspiration behind Meet Edgar.
Laura goes on to discuss some of the challenges of running a software business and how they overcome obstacles as they arise. She also talks about the process of building the team and some of the tactics that maintain a positive work environment with a remote team. Laura gives insight into how the team stays connected, including a daily video chat to maintain a strong team environment.
In closing, Laura shares some of the highs and lows of the evolution of Edgar. She shares insight into what it’s like to start a business with her husband, as well as how they maintain balance as a family. Laura discusses some of her top business books and a few mentors that have helped her along the way. The journey of Meet Edgar to a 7-figure SaaS is paved with determination, teamwork, and a desire to create the best product on the market.
Resources Mentioned on this episode
- Edgar On Air
- Creating Fame
- LKR Social Media
- Laura’s Favorite Business Books:
- Connect with Laura on Twitter
- Laura’s new SaaS for coaches, Paperbell
Get Personal Advice from Top Leaders & Founders How To:
- Don’t re-invent the wheel! What successful entrepreneurs know can help make you a success—and avoid the mistakes they made
- Hear the enormous challenges these wildly successful people overcame
- Hear their candid, first-hand stories—free!